Friday, January 16, 2009

Bill Plaschke is on the money (seriously).

I would not consider myself a USC fan, but I must say that I have a hard time not liking Pete Carroll. He is undeniably good at his job. He seems to create and foster a fun environment for his players. He even hangs out with gang members in the middle of the night in South LA in attempt to improve their lives.

Which is why I found his reaction to the decision of Mark Sanchez to turn pro most peculiar. Bill Plaschke agrees.

Sanchez, the Trojans' starting quarterback who will finish his classwork in May with one year of remaining football eligibility, formally declared that he was leaving school to join the NFL. Carroll, his coach, publicly treated him like a traitor.

[Here's the thing I never quite understand about college sports (most notably college football): Quite often, as with Sanchez, the player isn't actually leaving school "early." The "red-shirt" nomenclature of college football underscores Plaschke's point that there is a "gap between college football and college education." Sanchez is *done* with his college education.]

Carroll was so visibly frustrated, he wouldn't even sit next to Sanchez during the Heritage Hall news conference, then later refused to sit while answering questions.... Said Carroll: "Mark is going against the grain in this decision, we know that, he knows that."

[Against what grain? If Sanchez (as projected by Mel Kiper, Jr. last night on ESPN) is a potential top 3 pick in the upcoming draft, how do you not encourage him to seize that opportunity? That is life-altering money. Weird scene all-around.]

6 comments:

Nils Nilsson said...

While I agree with you here, I wonder if Sanchez and Carroll had some sort of an agreement that Sanchez went back on...not to slandel Sanchez who, for all I know, is a man of integrity, but Carroll hasn't reacted like this before and so it does beg the question even if my reaction based on the facts is to agree with you (and Plashke).

Mickey Cooper said...

Nils-
I don't mean to *slandel* (which, I'm assuming, is akin to "slander" but waaaaay more insulting) you either, but you sound like Stephen Colbert when he said, "I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are."

Nils Nilsson said...

1. You are absolutely right about slandel. That shit is crazy insulting.

2. I was saying, in an awfully convoluted way, that because of the facts I agree with you. But part of me wonders if there is more to this story that may yet be reported.

3. I am a man of facts. Well-tailored facts. That suit me.

Mickey Cooper said...

And part of ME wonders if unicorns are real, and if so, what kind of food they might like to eat.

Speculation is fun.

And what kind of *agreement* could Carroll offer? "Look, Sanchez, I will spot you those guaranteed millions if things don't work out next year. Honest. Here, let's pinky swear."

Keith Law said...

I think it's weird the way you guys talk to yourselves. Or, if you're actually one person, to yourself.

But I agree with you that Pete Carroll is rivaling Michael Young right now for the Biggest Sports Baby of the Week Award.

Nils Nilsson said...

@ Archie - Here is the agreement - "Mark, you may remember how Matt Leinart spent a year in southern California ballroom dancing, nailing hotties and playing football. And then he ended up drafted high and, with some application, could have been great. You could do the same. And if you stay, I will pull put the stops talking you up. I'll even buy you a unicorn to ride."

Just a thought.

@ Keith - It's even weirder in person.