Monday, February 2, 2009

Good guys DON'T finish last

Nils and argued this point vehemently over a slew of text messages last night, but I still say that the best commercial of the night was the one about the free Grand Slam breakfast this Tuesday at Denny's. I'm not even sure how this is up for debate.

As far as the game goes, it was surprisingly exciting. But what put Pittsburgh over the top, exactly? Peter King has some ideas.

It's a story about the affection everyone on the Steelers has for everyone, basically.

[I'm not following....]

"It matters,'' said [Hines] Ward. "You're going to be a better team if you like one another and trust one another."

[Oh, OK. Actually, I was thinking a similar thing when Warner threw that crippling INT that was returned for a score right before half-time. I thought, "Wow, Warner just *totally* showed his lack of trust in his teammates. If the back-up punter hadn't intentionally ignored Warner's 'I've got five on this seat' when he got up to grab a bagel during film study that week, Warner would have definitely thrown a TD right there."

I am still a little unclear on how liking each other directly causes success on the field, though. King, do you have another quote that, when taken out of context, is creepy and altogether hilarious?]

"We're just a bunch of little boys, fooling around in the living room,'' Troy Polamalu said.

[Perfect.]

Chemistry didn't win the most exciting Super Bowl I've covered, but chemistry did wear a Pittsburgh jersey.

[Because chemistry, like players, can only play for *one* team at a time. Sorry, Cards.]

Chemistry got built three years ago in Pittsburgh when Jerome Bettis wanted to draw the franchise quarterback more into the fraternal graces of the locker room and started playing a silly game with Ben Roethlisberger, standing 20 yards from the goal post and seeing who could be the first one to hit an upright with a pass.

[This is brutal. One more.]

No one knows what chemistry is, or how important it is in winning.... It's one of those things you can't define, but you can see. And the Steelers are full of it.

[OK, I can't read anymore of this. And how counter-examples do we all need to experience before we stop singing this song (Reggie Jackson-Billy Martin, Shaq-Kobe, Hall and Oates (there's no way they liked each other, right?), etc.)? Enough already.

Well, on the bright side, only 16+ hours until my free Grand Slam at Denny's.]

5 comments:

Nils Nilsson said...

As much as I love the Denny's spot, the singing baby got the most laughs and is a great extension of the E*Trade campaign...probably beats it out in the end for this observer.

Mickey Cooper said...

That talking baby is humorous and all, but he was already talking *last* Super Bowl. You know what WASN'T happening last Super Bowl??

The other commercial-type activity that I liked last night was Santonio Holmes doing the LeBron James baby powder routine as his touchdown dance after he caught the winning score.

Nils Nilsson said...

take...these broken wings...and learn to fly again...

Brian said...

How'd you miss this gem:
"Polamalu either did or didn't pack cornerback Bryant McFadden's helmet with grass clippings."

You know, Kurt Warner either did or didn't take a massive dump in 5th-string WR Early Doucet's helmet. He didn't. But he EITHER did or didn't.

Mickey Cooper said...

Great catch. I was already starting to get a little numb when I saw that either/or comment. Just a completely bizarre first page of that column (as I stated, I gave up after the first page, so I don't know how the rest of it panned out-- I don't know if I could handle reading his thoughts on The Boss' halftime show).