Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Peter King Gets Paid For This: Vol. 7

A couple of quick lines of Pete trying to reason through a debatable topic in his Tuesday column.

An e-mailer writes:
"If you had to choose the NFC Pro Bowl rushers, who would you leave out among Clinton Portis, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner and Brandon Jacobs (presuming he is healthy and will play the rest of the season)?"

Pete's response:
The NFL names one running back and one fullback starter per conference for the Pro Bowl, with two substitute running backs. You ask a great question, and my initial answer would be I'd have to leave Jacobs off.

[OK, as big a fan of Jacobs as I am, he is still part of an larger (and awesomer) RB-by-committee approach in NY, so I can buy an argument from Pete that Jacobs isn't the second-best RB in the league.]

That would pain me hugely because I think the only back better than Jacobs is Peterson...

[Er, I mean that I could accept an argument from Pete that Jacobs isn't at the top of the league in important statistics that measure productivity.]

...and because Jacobs is first in the NFL in yards per carry (5.4) and second in rushing touchdowns (11).

[Damnit, Pete! Wait, he said that he'd leave Jacobs out, right? (scrolling back up...) Yep, he did. He must have some IRON-CLAD arguments, then, for putting those other guys ahead of Jacobs. I bet I will feel stupid for mocking his thought process after he tells me why the other guys are better selections....]

But you can't leave Portis or Peterson off, and it's hard to leave off Turner....

[Well, I do feel stupid; but not for the reason stated above.]

No comments: