Monday, December 22, 2008

Positive Reinforcement = Proof of Professional Journalism

I was set to call it a day until someone sent me this article. Rob Parker of the Detroit News, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and dog-gone-it, people like you.

Rod Marinelli and I have a different relationship.

[(Cue wah pedal guitar riff)]

On the surface, you might think it's adversarial. He hates me and I hate him. In reality, it's one built on mutual respect.

[Parker and Marinelli are the Ron Burgunday and Wes Mantooth of the sports world.]

I respect what Marinelli is trying to accomplish as Lions coach....

[Really?]

During Sunday's postgame news conference... I attempted to lighten the moment in a tense situation and asked Marinelli if he wished his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator. Joe Barry, the Lions defensive coordinator, is Marinelli's son-in-law.

[Actually, that is kind of funny. I mean, what else do they have to talk about at a Lions post-game presser?]

Marinelli didn't flinch, he just ignored my attempt at humor and moved on.

[Mutual respect.]

Mutual respect.

[Exactly.]

Often, after some of the most intense line of questioning from me, Marinelli and I have walked off to the side and chatted.

[This article is now nothing more than the old "The Chris Farley Show" SNL skit. Hey, remember after that one press conference when you came up to me? That was awesome.]

Marinelli has gone out of his way several times to offer words of encouragement. A month or so ago, he called me on my cell phone and told me I was one of the best at asking questions and that I shouldn't change because I hit a bump in the road.

[Professional journalism: Because Rod Marinelli said so.]

1 comment:

Nils Nilsson said...

If you read this article while listening to the heartfealt montage music of your standard 80s coming of age movie, it really improves the entire experience. I suggest that you give it a try.