Thursday, December 18, 2008

Seth Davis and the Time-Space Continuum

Polls are obviously flawed, and to a certain extent (especially in basketball) utterly pointless. But if I were one of the voters, I would still attempt to fill out my poll with some semblance of rational thought. Seth Davis? Not so much.

As for Soham's question [Why Davis omitted Ohio State from his top 25], I don't mean to sound like your dad, but the simple answer is, "Because I said so."

[I'm pretty sure that's not love.... But keep going.]

As an AP voter, I tend to be more subjective early in the season and then let results dictate my ballot as time goes on.

[Because these so-called "games" that teams "play" in November and December, yeah, they don't actually count. I bet all of you at home thought they did, didn't you? Ha. Suckers.]

In the case of the Buckeyes, I see a team that could very well be good enough to win the Big Ten. However, I also see a team that lost three starters from a squad that failed to reach the NCAA tournament.

[2008-09 Buckeyes = Good. 2007-08 Buckeyes = Bad. Result = 2008-09 Buckeyes ranked as if they are bad. QED.]

Looking at some other teams on my ballot, why would I rank Villanova at No. 21? Because they were a Sweet 16 last year....

[Davis also thinks that "There Will Be Blood" will take home the "Best Picture" award at this year's Oscars.]

1 comment:

Nils Nilsson said...

Last season's performance, especially for college teams with their player turnover, is totally the right way to rank teams that are currently playing actual games this season.

Duh.